Monday, October 20, 2008

The Best Birthday

This weekend I got to celebrate my 28th birthday! I had so much fun. A few months ago my sister and I got an e-mail about a half marathon in Moab. I love love love races in Moab! They have the race in spring which is really hard to get into because it is so popular it is the 2nd half of the course, more down hill. But they also have "the other half" not quite as popular, but I like it more. There is more uphill, they are both beautiful but I do like the 1st half a little more
and this one ends in a much better way. You don't have to run through town they end it at the Sorrel River Ranch. So Juli called me the day she got the e-mail and we signed up because it was on my Birthday! This was a few months ago and I wasn't sure if I'd get to train very much or what shape I'd be in after having G.K. But I think it was really good motivation for me the last few months being prego and after as well. I really wanted Patrick and G.K. to come, I didn't want to miss them on my birthday but it worked out better to leave them at home and have a girls night out. Thank heavens I was with Juli I didn't know anything about how to save the milk that I had to pump and she was very understanding of how I was feeling emotionally. I'm sure no one wants to hear about all that but I am really glad that my first time leaving G.K. overnight he was with his Daddy and I had someone to help me too. Thanks!
We left on Saturday afternoon about 1:00 and Kathy (Juli's mom-in-law) let us take her zippy new car that was really nice. Once we got there we checked into our hotel and picked up our packets. They gave us nice jackets instead of shirts and we got cute pint glasses. There wasn't a whole lot at the expo so we went to eat at ZAX on main street. The wait was about 45 minutes so we went for a walk on the little walkway along the stream and took some pictures.
I always forget how beautiful Moab is. We had plenty to take pictures of. We both got Cheese tortelloni. It was so good I ate way too much. After we went to a few shops. Juli got some way cute Keens. When we got back to the hotel it is tradition to paint your toe nails before a race. So Juli painted hers orange (very festive) and I painted mine a grey/blue color. 
We woke up at 5:30 to get ready for the race. The busses took us up the mountain and there were fires to keep us warm. It wasn't too cold. The race went by so fast! It was gorgeous. The first time I ran this race was when I decided I could do a marathon , that was 2003 or 2004, I can't remember for sure. It just goes by so fast! After the race they had tons of treats. Everything from beer to candy corns. I opted for the candy corns. 
We ate lunch at a Mexican restaurant that was really good too and again I ate way too much.
Juli hardly ate anything but she drank a lot of coke. She got sick so I drove home. I really liked Kathy's car. It's a good thing Juli wasn't feeling well because we both could have spent a lot of money there.
When I got home Patrick had dinner all ready (Salmon, potatoes, salad, and rolls). G.K. missed me horribly, but he was really good for his Dad. Patrick even made me a cake that was delicious. I think I had the best birthday ever. Thanks everyone! I am so blessed!

The restaurant had these balloons, they must have known I was coming.
Juli and I at the Expo.
Juli in front of a pretty fall tree.
Me on the bridge over the river.
Juli the miner (no she didn't go to Bingham).
Look at our cute feet! I got a blister during the run.
This was the first picture taken on my birthday! 
We were just heading out to get on the bus.
I look really tired all ready!
This is me driving Kathy's car singing the Birthday song that is on my ipod.
I love my birthday!
Juli and I with our medals.
We didn't get a chance to take a pic after the race. 
We were kinda in a hurray. We got back to our hotel room at noon and still had to shower, pack, and pump. While I was pumping the housekeeper was trying to get in to clean. I couldn't answer the door, she kept knocking and trying to get in. It was really pretty funny. 
I missed my baby so much! Every time I saw a baby I thought about my little boy and how much I wanted him there. He would have had a lot of fun, but I know he had fun with his papa!
This is the yummy cake Patrick made for me. It was delicious! 
I was so tired and worn out but I didn't want my birthday to end. Patrick and I watched 
Beetle Juice on t.v. and fell asleep on the floor. I had the best birthday ever!

4 comments:

Jenn and Brandon said...

Heidi! I didn't know your race was a girls weekend. We debated coming to see you last night, but we thought you'd be still coming back from Moab with Pat & GK. We hope you had a great birthday! Let's make more s'mores.

Heather and Kade Scott said...

Happy Birthday!! I am so glad you had such a great birthday and got to do the half marathon for it.

Bethie said...

Happy Birthday!!!!!!!! you are amazing to get out and run a marathon !

you are younger than me?? I will be 29, the begining of December:)

The Barkers said...

Happy birthday!! What a fun day. I remember the first time I left Brooks' overnight. I was a wreck! Way to go! And way to go being in such great shape with a little one.