Tuesday, March 17, 2009

St. Who??

So St. Patrick's Day is pretty special around our house.
Now Patrick is no Saint but he is a pretty amazing man, I am SO Lucky to have him.
I tease him a lot about my Hot running doctor but I would never trade.
Anyway! This being G.K.'s first St. Patrick's Day I needed to vamp up our traditions.
On the link parties and Holidays (Which should be Homemaking fun) I found a really cute poem. I kinda put our own twist on it to make it more ours. 
Legend Of The Leprechauns
Full of magic and trickery, the leprechauns remain in their hidden world until the the night before St. Patrick's day. On that one night of the year they appear throughout the world to find a new place to hide their precious treasures.
They dance, sing, and frolic once they are here Disguising themselves as leaves and grass and sounding like the wind and crickets, they come and go unnoticed.
Now it is said that if a treasure box is left empty under the moon the leprechauns must fill the box with their treasures. Be it gold, silver, jewels, or gifts. But then they will hide the filled box in the most unlikely of places until next year when they return.
Now the Leprechauns don't want to leave their treasures, so beware of trickery. They want to distract you from finding what is theirs.
If the box is found on St. Patrick's Day the treasure remains in our world. If not, it will be hidden from our world until the next St. Patrick's Day. Now even though the leprechauns are very clever, it is not impossible to find the treasure

Also on that blog I learned how to applique. 
I have been wanting to learn how to do this for a long time, but never really had a reason.
It was so fun and easy. I made G.K. and I some matching shirts for the big day.

Now Shawn Shawn the Leprechaun has been visiting Patrick for a long time and he didn't disappoint us this year. I don't think he brought as much candy as he usually does but that is Okay we really don't need it. (I am trying to be good about Lent and it is really hard. I will blog about it if I make it.) That tricky leprechaun left footprints all over my kitchen and turned the milk green. But we did get his treasure!

G.K. and I went for a walk and to the park to swing on the swing set.
He Loved it! I think it was his first time, he looked so big on the seat all by himself.
He got to see Grandma Vickie, Jenn & Brandon, and Aunt Shell!
I made Corned Beef for dinner Patrick said it was really good.... It didn't look like it.
And some sugar free mint chocolate chip ice cream for dessert.
It was the Best St. Patrick's day!

5 comments:

Christian and Karen Robinson said...

That is so cute! You are very clever!!

Amy Piller said...

Hey Heidi, this is Amy Richins from Middle School I found you through Marianne's blog. How are you? Your baby is so cute and you are so fun with traditions. I will come to you when I need some ideas! I am so excited I found yout!

Amy Piller said...

I am doing good, we live out in Saratoga Springs and are just both working. I am a project manager for a training company at least for now we are starting to think more about the whole kid thing, lol.

barnhiselfamily said...

Heidi that is the cutest shirt ever. What a fun tradition you have with Patties day!! I didn't do anything fun for my boys but after seeing the cute ideas I may just have to. I had fun with you yesterday! GK is such a cutie. Hope we can get together again soon..maybe hit the Farm Country.

The Barkers said...

G.K. Looks so cute in that shirt. I loved the swings when my kids were big enough to sit by themselves. So cute. I'm glad it worked out for you. I tinted my eggs green for breakfast (and eggs are a favorite here) and my kids wouldn't touch them.